ES-2122 Transmission Mounting w Wishbone Splitting Kit for 1939-1940 Mercury (T350,PowerGlide,Standard)
Bolt on unit allows removal of transmission without pulling engine. Wishbone splitting kits have been welded to bottom plate. Fits all transmissions that measure 20 5/8″ from engine to transmission mount holes. Fits Turbo 350, powerglide and stick. Hardware and instructions included.
Installation Instructions for ES-2122 Transmission Mounting Kit for GM Turbo 350, Powerglide or Standard Transmission for 1939-1940 Mercury Car
Remove original transmission mount and center section from X member.
Do not destroy rivet holes as some are reused.
Straighten any dimples in frame around rivet holes.
Place lower plate against bottom of X center and line up with existing holes.
Ream drill to 5/16″ and bolt.
Insert center support from rear and line up with lower plate mounting hole.
Drill holes and fasten the 4 side bolts in place. Flat part faces rearward.
Place wings on top of X rails and center over existing holes. Drill to 3/8″ Transmission Mounting Kit Using a Split Wishbone.
1. Before cutting or removing original wishbone, take accurate measurements from outer axle to a spot near the middle of the car. Record measurements, they are reference points.
2. Cut wishbone ball apart and insert threaded tube and tie rod end. Spread wishbone apart and install tie rod end in socket. Threaded tube should extend out of radius rod at 1″. Mark rod for later trimming. Check with reference points and mark both sides. Remove axle and wishbone as a unit.
3. Cut rod at mark and also in a 1/4″ wide strip, 3″ long and down the seam. Rod should now be worked with a hammer and anvil so that it fits the outside of the threaded rod.
4. Weld down the 3″ seam being sure weld penetrates to the interior threaded tube. Weld around the end. Do not just weld around the end, take time and do it right. Because welding can distort, it is a good idea to re-tap the tube 3/4″ SAE-NF. Install tie rod end and lock nut.
5. Splitting the wishbone will also angle the front spring hangers. These must be straightened by heating and bending.
6. Reinstall axle and adjust using reference points. At least 1″ of threads should be in tube for safety.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel and urethane, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.