ES-2172 Transmission Mounting Kit Type 2 for 1941-1948 Ford (Turbo350,Powerglide,Stick)
Transmission Mounting Kit for Type 2 X-member center (the X-member center is welded to the X-rails). Use with IFS. Turbo 350, Powerglide, Stick
Make sure you have the correct kit for your car. There are 2 different types, Type I, where the crossmember center is riveted to the X rails) and type II, where the crossmember center is a complete welded unit.
Installation Instructions for transmission mounting kit GM Turbo 350, Powerglide or Standard transmission, including Ford C4 Provision for Ford 1941-48 Ford Car (only)
Again, make sure you have the correct kit for your car, either Type I, with a riveted X rail center or Type II, where the X rail center is a welded unit.
Remove original transmission mount from crossmember.
Clamp transmission plate in place using the measurements below.
Drill bolt holes in frame to 3/8″ and install bolts. If wishbone kit is to be used, drill those two holes to 9/16″.
Ford Transmission Models have a cushion adapter,
Installed direction depends on type of transmission.
The center crossmember will need to be clearanced for most transmissions. Slide engine and transmission into place to determine areas of interference. Clearance can be obtained by heating and bending, or by cutting. We recommend bending so that the X retains its strength. Heat a 2 diam. area red hot, and rap with a ball pean hammer. Metal will stretch easily when red hot.
Caution: Make sure to take appropriate fire prevention measures, by keeping water and/or a fire extinguisher close by.
Use a small modulator valve on Turbo 350 for extra clearance.
Transmission Mounting Kit Using a Split Wishbone.
1. Before cutting or removing original wishbone, take accurate measurements from outer axle to a spot near the middle of the car. Record measurements, they are reference points.
2. Cut wishbone ball apart and insert threaded tube and tie rod end. Spread wishbone apart and install tie rod end in socket. Threaded tube should extend out of radius rod @ 1″. Mark rod for later trimming. Check with reference points and mark both sides. Remove axle and wishbone as a unit.
3. Cut rod at mark and also in a 1/4″ wide strip, 3″ long and down the seam. Rod should now be worked with a hammer and anvil so that it fits the outside of the threaded rod.
4. Weld down the 3″ seam being sure weld penetrates to the interior threaded tube. Weld around the end. Do not just weld around the end, take time and do it right. Because welding can distort, it is a good idea to retap the tube 3/4″ SAE-NF. Install tie rod end and lock nut.
5. Splitting the wishbone will also angle the front spring hangers. These must be straightened by heating and bending.
6. Reinstall axle and adjust using reference points. At least 1″ of threads should be in tube for safety.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel and urethane, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
There are no reviews yet.