ES-2169 Center Tunnel Clearance and Transmission Mounting Kit for 1937-1940 Ford (T400)
This transmission mounting kit uses the original center side bracing and full 360 degree design for the strongest support possible. This is the only kit that replaces full strength to the X. Completely bolt-on. Mounts T-400 transmission into 1937-1940 Ford.
Installation Instructions for Bolt on transmission mount and center crossmember clearance kit for 1935-1940 Ford Car and Pickup.
1. Remove center section from crossmember. Do not destroy rivet holes as some of them are reused.
2. Straighten dimbles in frame caused by rivets.
3. Insert center support from rear and line up with existing holes. Ream drill holes to 3/8″ and insert bolts in four side holes. The flat part of support faces forward.
4. Place “wings” on top of x rails and center over existing holes.
Ream drill to 3/8″ and bolt in place. Hole match on 35-36 may not be exact. The two outer wings on 37-40 do not have matching rivet holes, drill these through and bolt.
5. Place lower plate against bottom of X and line up with existing holes. Again, the 35-36 may not match exactly. Use the rear-most holes for line up. Drill holes using the lower plate for template. Bolt in place.
6. Models with wishbone splitting kit: Drill frame through tapered button to 9/16″ and follow directions from wishbone splitting kit.
7. If you have ordered a kit without engine mounts, or are installing an engine-transmission combination other than those we furnish as a kit, the bottom plate may not be drilled already, this allows you some flexibility in selecting the right transmission mounting point. Drill holes as needed, and add any spacers to give the correct height.
8. The bottom lip of the x rails will need to be bent down for clearance for some automatics. Install transmission to find these points. If possible, adjust by heating and bending, rather than cutting to keep the strength.
Transmission Mounting Kit Using a Split Wishbone.
1. Before cutting or removing original wishbone, take accurate measurements from outer axle to a spot near the middle of the car. Record measurements, they are reference points.
2. Cut wishbone ball apart and insert threaded tube and tie rod end. Spread wishbone apart and install tie rod end in socket. Threaded tube should extend out of radius rod @ 1″. Mark rod for later trimming. Check with reference points and mark both sides. Remove axle and wishbone as a unit.
3. Cut rod at mark and also in a 1/4″ wide strip, 3″ long and down the seam. Rod should now be worked with a hammer and anvil so that it fits the outside of the threaded rod.
4. Weld down the 3″ seam being sure weld penetrates to the interior threaded tube. Weld around the end. Do not just weld around the end, take time and do it right. Because welding can distort, it is a good idea to retap the tube 3/4″ SAE-NF. Install tie rod end and lock nut.
5. Splitting the wishbone will also angle the front spring hangers. These must be straightened by heating and bending.
6. Reinstall axle and adjust using reference points. At least 1″ of threads should be in tube for safety.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel and urethane, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.